Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
1,063 posts
290,081 visits

Single Mom and Pregnant need Housing ASAP

lilsbgirl started this conversation

I'm 28, and a single mom with a wonderful 3 yr old. I just found out I'm now pregnant, and to top it off was laid off in 2007, and have been working here and there. I'm desperately trying to get my son and I in our own place, as I currently live with his father. His father is an alcoholic, has drug problems and is just an overall verbally abusive and horrible guy.

I've gone to all the resources and just patiently waiting for a call back on some housing, but I'm really starting to get nervous. I will basically be homeless by the end of the month, and I literally have a buck to my name. I signed up to go back to school to better my situation for my kids, (get a degree so I can make better money), but its tough. I just don't know what to do. Basically all I need right now is a place to live, as I cannot afford much. I also live in the worst town as its terribly expensive but there is no way i can move. The little support that my family gives me (they are in town too) is better than the zero I would have if I lived somewhere cheaper.


Basically if anyone knows where I can find a place to live, cheap or where I could get assistance in paying rent would appreciate it!  


Thanks to all who have offered support.. I finally found myself a place to stay, its not a permnant situation, but at least my children will have a safe place to stay, and I can focus on the future, and not be so stressed out. I am still trying to figure out the whole plan, working, school and how I am going to raise my children without shoving them into daycare all day long.

If anyone is a single mom of 2 kids and has any advise on how to raise your kids (and not dump them off at a daycare all the time) and still be able to support them let me know!! I really believe the best care is that of mom, but I have to be realistic that I have to support myself and be able to care for my kids financially too. 


Click here to add your comment...
woman in a shoe   in reply to vito brown
Hi the person u posted to not been on here in years. All we can do is give u information where u mite get help. For one the CPS cannot take your baby just because u are homeless. But u say u never had a job don't u think u should be looking for a job with a kid. But here u some information there is places that will Pell first month rent and deposits for u if they got the funds. Type need help with bills city state if u don't see it under city state put county state u will see a list of places that can help u. Also sign up for low income housing u can sign up in more than one cunty type low income housing city and county it will tell u how to do it. Also sent u got a 3 year old sign him up for wic also sign your self and him up for welfare u will get food stamps insurance and cash to pay for your rent lights gas. U can also call Catholic church and see which one give out food some have a free clothes closet where u can get ot
clothes for u and your son. Hope this can have u
Talk to woman in a shoe
stuck out
i have a 5 year old son we are fixing to be homeless live in texas city texas our truck is broke down we have come upon rough tomes im trying to get us to a shelter in the houston tx area or some type of transitional living center we was living with family but is not working out we i was told we have to go we have no money food or way to get anywhere can somneone lead me in the right direction im able to work but have no child care i just am at a loss as to what to do
Talk to stuck out
vito brown
I'm 29. i've never had a job and i have a 3yr old son we need help we were on the streets pls help i don't want them to take my baby.
Talk to vito brown
Lareina33991   in reply to spudsy
I am in Florida pregnant homeless and have a 5 year old austic son where can I get help
Talk to Lareina33991
littlelacie   in reply to my4bbs
maybe you could get into a women's shelter,since from what you say you have suffered domestic abuse. they would help you file a police report and you would need to name your abuser.and since you say he took off with your other children they would want to locate them, to be sure they are safe.they have social workers at the women's shelter and they would help you get prenatal care. please think about doing this. Women's Protective Services are available in most cities and they are excellent. they will also help you get baby stuff and when you get your children back they will be able to stay there too.
Talk to littlelacie
I am pregnant and have been homeless in Maine for 5Months now since I lost my place and my job ended.I am due literally anytime now.I have no family and nobody to help me.I have 3 daughters also but their father took off with them and left me behind knowing I'm pregnant with our baby.I have tried to get help EVERYWHERE in my state. My kids father was abusive and me and my kids have been through so much with him.I had even tried to get help through the court and Caring Unlimited up here but he's a sociopath and is really good at manipulating people and they didn't believe me about him even after 2 domestic violence charges and several police reports.He has my kids and has every agency duped into helping him.Meanwhile I've been staying on friends coughs,anywhere I can in the worst winter,due anytime now with nothing for my baby and no place to go or bring my baby when it's born.I don't know what to do.I need sooo much help and no where to turn!Someone please help me!I need help with a place to live,medical attention and find and get my kids back from their father before something happens to them!My other youngest ones are only 1and 2Years old!They need their mama!This man had me working 7days a week,losing jobs due to constant bruises and black eyes,I paid for everything and lost it all because of him!Please help!
Talk to my4bbs
woman in a shoe   in reply to indigorain36
Hi the person u posted to not been on here in years. But for low income housing u can sign up in more than one county. The only other thing i could think of is a shelter.
Talk to woman in a shoe
Hello my friend is in the exact same position that you are except he kicked her and her 2yo son to the street and they have no where to go...we have been to every government agency you can think of and placed applications too all of them...problem is there is a minimum of 8 month waiting list. Please tell me what her and her son are too do for 8 months. i have helped what I can but my landlord will not let anyone especially kids stay there. Could you please share how you found help and any advise you could give would be awesome.
Talk to indigorain36
woman in a shoe   in reply to fruddilicious
Hi sign up for low income housing u can sign up in more than one county. There is places that will pay first mo rent and deposits for u if they got the funds put the first of the mo most the time they got the funds. Type need help with bills city state if u don't see it under city state put county state u will fine a lot of information there for help
Talk to woman in a shoe
fruddilicious   in reply to spudsy
Thanks and God bless you
Talk to fruddilicious
spudsy   in reply to fruddilicious
iwished you where in fla i could help but your to far away
Talk to spudsy
spudsy   in reply to fruddilicious
i wish you where in fl i could help you then
Talk to spudsy
fruddilicious   in reply to spudsy
Jonesboro Arkansas 41 yr ol mother. 14 girl. 13 boy. 9 girl
Talk to fruddilicious
spudsy   in reply to fruddilicious
are you still homeless what state do you live in details of youall
Talk to spudsy
littlelacie   in reply to fruddilicious
on internet, type in need help paying bills,city,county,state. you will see a list of places that might be able to help.
Talk to littlelacie
Please help me and my children. We are homeless. We've stayed with e other families it it has not worked out for us.
Talk to fruddilicious
Please help. My daughter and her 3yr old son is also looking for a place to stay on the West Rand, Roodepoort. I am nearly 63yrs and also living in a flat with my son. Now my daughter and her son is also here and we battle to keep everything going. I have to work because I don`t have a pension and my son is helping me. I really can`t go on like this. She can`t afford to pay more than R1 800.00.
Talk to Jacobus
littlelacie   in reply to Nina ragston
Nina, please realize your parents are helping you.You and your child are not homeless in the streets- you have a place to stay and do not have to worry about paying utilities or food. You have more than a lot of young moms do. But,what is it you need help with? The resources we know usually help one time a year, and only help with electric, water,rent and gas bill, and it sounds like you would not need that. Just think about it please. They are helping you out so you could decide whether to try and work or go on to school. Then when he gets out you will be better equipped to have a household with him.
Talk to littlelacie
Nina ragston
I'm 22 years old with a one year old baby girl and now 7 1/2 months with my second child a baby boy my boyfriend is on his way to do some time and I an so scared because I know I DEFINATELY won't get any help nomore I stay with my parents who never helps me with anything and are very domestic I'm just looking for. Place I can call home and get on my feet and take care of my kids that's all if anybody can help please I'm begging from the bottom of my heart
Talk to Nina ragston
littlelacie   in reply to Clara 92
apply for section 8 and TANF and foodstamps, WIC since your children are both under age 4. usually a waiting list for section 8 but since you are homeless with 2 very small children they might move you up on the list. You might get housing a little quicker unless there are lots of other mothers ahead of you that also have small children. But check it out. I am so sorry you are having hard times.
Talk to littlelacie